Saturday, June 14, 2008

All good things must ......

Lydia and I spent our last week in RI helping my grandma.
Very bittersweet.
We made it 10 months if you can believe it. Leaving most Mondays before the sun and coming home Thursday afternoon. Throughout this whole process Lydia has been pretty amazing and Steven has been really supportive.

Overall, it was a great experience for me. I feel really lucky that I got to spend all that time with my grandmother. This whole process enabled me to not only get close to my grandmother again, but it also helped me to understand the struggles and benefits of living in a multi-generational situation. The travelling was the worst part, but it had it's positives too. While VT had 6 feet of snow RI was pretty much snow free. We got to spend our weekends in the mountains and our weekdays near the ocean. Not bad. A really hard thing about this was that we made so many friends in RI. And having to say goodbye. Having moved (sprinted really) away from RI at 18, I never dreamed of spending so much time back there or meeting so many great people. This is Lydia's class singing at the end of the year family night/ graduation. So cute.
This is the gang that basically adopted Lydia from the first moment they met. Lydia fell right into place and the threesome became a foursome.
For all the stress, anxiety and mishaps, we all survived. I have gotten the opportunity to give back on some level to the person who meant so much to me as a child. I also have come to terms with the RI in me, ( anyone from RI who actually has escaped will understand this). We've made a lot of new friends and we are ready for our next big adventure. SUMMER!

No comments: