Sunday, April 27, 2008

Money Pit #2?

I will preface this with I Love Steven!
I love his sense of humor, his sarcasm and his support.
I love that he is such a great Dad and that he has his own interests.
Yes, some of these interests are easy to brag about: his paintings and his music.
Others a little harder to explain: horse racing and beer swilling.
But I now realize that there is one hobby/ interest where I need to draw the line.
This is his love of the "handy mans special".

Do you have a home that the foundation is crumbling?
Are there hundreds of birds living in your attic?
Is there glass all over the yard because almost every window has been smashed?
Has your home been inhabited by angry squatters within the last year?
Well then we would love to check it out?

"Run child run. Before the wind pushes it over."


I too love the idea of buying a run down home (with good bones of course), and fixing it up. The problem is, we already own a home that needs fixing up. We have painting projects to finish, a porch floor that needs replacing, roof work to pay for and new windows to install. All those things that seemed so easy to remedy before we closed on our house are still undone. We've owned this house for almost two years, mind you.
Do we need another house to deal with? Do we need a home that was vandalized with what looks like lots of paint and a sledgehammer? I would say no. But then I hear Steven,"look at that wrap around porch. And the garden, it's gorgeous. Have you noticed the hand crafted staircase?" I just fall in love with his optimism.
Blind, unrealistic optimism yes.
But optimism none the less.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I can see both the charm and the absolute horror! Periodically N wants to buy another building and I have the same reaction. I kind of put my foot down (as much as I am capable of!?) saying, nothing else until the first one is done. But I, too, love that optimism and conviction that everything will work out just by believing it so.

Hott Mama said...

I still say that it's the repeated viewing of "It's a Wonderful Life" that has pushed me over this edge. When I see Donna Reed slapping on that new coat of wallpaper, everything seems possible.