Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lion


When I was little I had a stuffed Dumbo that I slept with and was very attached to. I think I loved Dumbo so much because he was a deformed, emotionally vulnerable animal who was dealing with a mother that was thought of as crazy. He also tried desperately to get his life together and liked a good drink. You figure out the attraction.
What I am trying to get to is that Lydia has an animal that she just adores. His/her (depends on the day) name is Lion. She dresses him up and brings him everywhere. She recently acquired a carrying case for him. This is a picture that she took, without my knowledge of Lion on a hot water bottle. (He gets cold) She tells me very often that he is sick, "Lion doesn't feel well today because he played with a fox last night. Lion is allergic to foxes." Lion usually is covered in band-aids. Me: "Why does lion have a bandage on his nose?" Lydia: "I bit him last night by accident and now his nose is broken." Yesterday I was told that Lion might be dying. Lydia: "I have some bad news. Lion might be dying. He's spending too much time with foxes, he can't control himself. He needs help." Me: "where should he go for help?" Lydia: "I'm not sure. Somewhere that sick people go who can't control themselves around foxes."
Luckily Lion is doing much better. But I can't help but notice Lydia being drawn to someone with an addictive self destructive personality. Is this a sign? What was your favorite animal or doll? Did they have a dark disfunctional background? What does this say about you? I think I'm onto something here.

2 comments:

Hott Mama said...

I had a lamb which was named "Lamby" but sounded more like "Yammy" so when I introduced it, it sounded like "Miami". I don't think it was self-destructive, but eventually my love molded its head into something resembling an alien. What do you think that means?

Amanda said...

I was never particularly attached to a doll or stuffed animal. I do vividly remember, though, the day my mom brought me to the toy store to "choose" my doll that was a reward for going to gymnastic lessons without any major meltdowns... I had my heart absolutely set on this ugly little newborn plastic thing. I believed I loved it already. It needed me to change its diapers and give it a bottle. My mom, however, thought the Jenny doll was much better for some reason. Maybe because she was a little girl and had better clothes? We left with the Jenny doll. I was always secretly resentful and only played with her sometimes out of obligation. Hmmmmmmm.... not sure what that says about the type of relationshipe I am drawn to...