Monday, March 10, 2008

How sickness effects my family








Whenever anyone in my family gets sick the other family units react in a predictable manner.

For some reason I feel guilty that I didn't drive three hours to RI to take care of G.G. Mamma. Even though my five year old had a temperature of 102 degrees and received antibiotics for an ear infection, I feel like I should have put her in the car and driven three hours to help my 95 year old grandmother.

The guilt persisted all day until I recognized that the guilt is multidimensional, meaning even if I did leave I would feel guilty for dragging a sick child 150 miles. So instead I've managed to funnel all the guilt into one place and turned it into a total lack of motivation.
Steven (the father unit) always gets sick whenever anyone else in the family feels ill. He calls it "under the weather". No matter what ailments you have ear infection, menstrual cramps or sunburn, Steven will immediately begin to suffer from similar symptoms. This usually results in two days out of work and a long hot bath.
Lydia usually resorts to "baby"mode when she gets sick. She mutters things like "Da Da I need more ice cream" and "Ma Ma back rubs back rubs". She clings to her stuffed lion named "Lion" who is also "under the weather", (he's allergic to foxes and supposedly there was a fox in the house this morning).
Needless to say we're all a little sick.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I teill ya, steven's got the right idea...if only we all could just have a couple of days off and a nice, long, hot bath...ahhhh...

Hott Mama said...

How did I not see this until today?! Nice illustrations. You captured Steven's under-eye circles so well. You don't need art school!