Sunday, November 9, 2008

What do you do when you get fired from your dream job?

So I started my new job about a month ago, (mercury was in retrograde at the time). This astronomical fact was noted by my new employer. I should have run for the hills but I was too excited.

This was my dream job. My employers were sucessful authors/ visionaries/ personal restructurers. The setting was a beautiful location of Vermont, overlooking rolling hills in a refurbished 1830's farmhouse, with a boss who wears Couture. The anticipated projects were exciting. I would be an event planner/ copy editor/ administrative assistant/ production queen/ the overall go to girl. I was up for the task and rearing to go. I felt like finally everything was in line and I would get to do the job I always dreamed I was capable of doing.


These are but a few of the assignments I was given:

I planned an organic menu of four meals for forty people with the personal chef.


I trademarked a phrase and a book title.


I drove with one of my employers to Boston to pick up his car. And used my mad Boston skills to find the car shop that was hidden down a back alley. He is the craziest driver. I have driven with some crazy drivers, The Netherlands, Italy, Budapest and Liz Caulfield etc. I know crazy drivers when I see them. So I also got to see my life flashing before my eyes several times while on the time clock.


I picked up a deceased dogs ashes from a creepy pet funeral home.


I picked up one of my employers MRI.


Unfortunately my car broke down so I wasn't able to drive one of my employers to the dentist for a cleaning while she was on Valium to calm her nerves.

I edited a website daily.
I responded to a months worth of e-mails.
I made an appointment for the cat of my employers daughter who was suffering from an undisclosed illness. I have never seen nor know the age of this feline. When I called, the vet rightfully thought I was on crack.


I read and proofed 30 + stories about Transcendence from people all over the world. A very transcendent experience.


I drove an amazing Jaguar (to get inspected).


I was positive. I liked it. I was always busy and really felt like everything was going great.


Then I'm not sure what happened.
I forgot to turn the answering machine on when I left on Thursday.
I said that I couldn't drive to Boston on Sunday morning to drop one of the employers off at the airport.

Or maybe I am completely oblivious and just sucked.


But on Friday I got the can, I left graciously with one weeks extra pay and a boulder in my stomach. I cried like a baby on the way home.


And now I'm back to ground zero.
The worst part of all of this is I really wanted this to be great.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Why is it that the more we think we know how things will be, the less they actually are? Life works in mysterious ways. I think your reference to the stars is key. No, I am not suggesting you see an astrologist!! I just honestly believe that it wasn't meant to be. That jaguar could very well have meant an untimely death for you! What seems so negative in the moment, could be cosmic nudge onto the right course of your life! Phew!